The Budd's

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Special

I got a phone call this afternoon. It was from Jackie, who used to be Quinn's Occupational Therapist who came when she was in Early Intervention. She wanted to know if I could write a letter explaining Quinn's experience with Early Intervention. So I did. As I was writing it I had to think clear back to when Quinn was first diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy. It was a whirlwind...

She was 18 months old and wasn't walking and that wasn't normal. We had an MRI and it showed that she had a brain bleed when she was in the womb. I didn't even know what Cerebral Palsy was. It scared me on so many levels. I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to help her or that she would get made fun of because she walks different. And most of all that she would have to miss out on things that kids do. As a mom you only want to do everything you can for your kids and I felt like I wouldn't be able to do that for her.

I kept going through in my head what I could have done differently when I was pregnant. Did this happen to her because I played softball while I was pregnant? Or because I rode a four wheeler and went on a bumpy trail? I couldn't get over the feeling of guilt that it was my fault.

We started doing lots of therapy with Quinn and she made huge strides. I look at where she is today and can't even believe it. It hasn't come easy, she has worked so hard. But she has come so far. I look at how much she has gone through and it makes me sad, but...she is strong. And she has made me strong. And I can look back now and see that there was nothing that I did to make Quinn this way. She was meant to be this way, this is her trial in life. And she was meant to come to our family. She has such a special spirit that is felt everywhere she is. I am so glad Heavenly Father sent her to our home, I am so glad for the amazing girl that she is and how strong she is.

1 comment: